Some of the bandmasters enjoyed the experience so much that they eventually immigrated to Canada.
Courtesy of

The Canadians fired a few rounds

Excerpt from the book entitled The Second World War in De Marne. Published by Uitgeverij Profiel in Bedum in 2004
Liberators on Electraweg with Jaap de Waard, Jan Stoutmeijer and Dirk Postma
Jelte Toxopeus was subsequently drummed up; he had to help. The party finally sailed off. Toxopeus was allowed to disembark at Lange Hoofd.
The Germans then proceeded to the isle of Schiermonnikoog where they stuck it out for several weeks following May 5th, 1945.
So after the rest of the Netherlands was already long liberated, it was finally Schiermonnikoog's turn. Several fishermen from Zoutkamp transported the Canadian soldiers to the island. Jan (“Jannie”) Toxopeus, Aldert Buitjes and Pieter Visser remember Pieter's father saying that the Canadians were incredibly casual in their treatment of the Germans, who were still quite dangerous, on the return trip to Zoutkamp – the Canadians had already gone through so much during their operations in Europe....
On Sunday, April 13th, the Canadians liberated Zoutkamp. They came from the direction of Friesland. Towards 11:30, Van der Zee was at café Het Hoekje, where Aaltje Westra was employed. Through his binoculars he could see the Canadians arriving by way of Nitersweg. The Canadians fired a few rounds towards the harbour of Zoutkamp, hitting K. Abbas' house in Havenstraat. The Germans fled to the dock area. Jan Stoltmeijer and Jan Visser could speak English, so they greeted the liberators at the bridge and pointed the way to the dock area. There they captured the Germans who offered no more resistance. Some boys accompanied a group of Canadians to neutralize a German post between Electra and Houwerzijl. There, too, the Germans did not resist. Two older Germans manned the post and they were only too happy the war was over.


Ermelo’s inhabitants were forced to dig trenches

It is 60 years since Ermelo and the surrounding region were liberated from the German occupier. At around two o’clock on a Wednesday afternoon the residents of Ermelo greeted the armoured regiment, Lord Strathcona´s Horse. Ermelo had been freed. The armoured regiment was closely followed by the motorcycles and sharpshooters of the Westminster Infantry Regiment and tanks of the 8th Princess Louise´s New Brunswick Hussars of the Canadian 5th armoured regiment. The liberators came from the direction of Putten and part of the force then advanced to Harderwijk.
Several days of enormous tension preceded the liberation. De Hoge Riet, the sanatorium that the Germans had commandeered and set up as a field hospital several months earlier, was evacuated on 16 April. The occupiers had also started the evacuation and destruction of the Stellung Haasse radar post on the Weisteeg. Many of Ermelo’s inhabitants were forced to dig trenches. Even the hated Landwachters, who had terrorised the region for a year and had been staying in the former Roelofsen hotel, had suddenly disappeared. The roads were crowded with fleeing Germans.
In the morning there was still heavy fighting between nearby Putten and Voorthuizen. Four allied soldiers lost their lives in the combat. In Steenenkamer eleven farms were destroyed that afternoon in fighting. The Germans tried to escape to the west through Nijkerk. Thanks in part to the intervention of resistance fighters there were no skirmishes in Ermelo and Harderwijk. In the course of the afternoon some tanks headed in the direction of ´s Heerenloo and Palmbos, where the Horst firing range was located. The firing range had been out of use for several months. At Spiek on the Buitenbrinkweg dozens of Germans were captured after refusing to give themselves up to the resistance. During the evening four more Germans who had hidden themselves on a farm were taken prisoner. On the evening of 18 April Ermelo was liberated.


Farmsound Studio and World War II.doc
Here is my "contribution". I hope you don't mind getting it one day later than promised. We have a much better dictionary at work than at home



and there were two words I did not feel comfortable with.
Now, feel free to do whatever you want with it.
When I had finished writing it, Wil said: Ha! You forgot the best story of all, the one about the bomb. You know, that sand road where the tractors always hit that bump in the bend of the road....kaboink, kaboink.... it went on for years!
After a severe thunderstorm a lot of sand was washed away, and it turned out they'd been kaboinking over a heavy aeroplane bomb all those years.....The bomb squad was called in; they constructed a straw barrier around it and let it explode : KABOOM!
Straw all over the place!
Judith and Wil
Farmsound Studio and World War II
I’m glad to say that we are post-war children, and we want to keep it that way!
But when your home is situated in between Arnhem and Oosterbeek you just happen to live right in the middle of where operation “Market Garden” began in the early hours of September 17th, 1944. Each year, this battle is celebrated in the municipality of Renkum as a grand victory together with “our” veterans and their families. Our studio contributed by recording the “live commentaries” for the splendid dioramas at the Hartenstein War Museum in Oosterbeek. When our family moved here in the 1970s we had no idea that we lived in the middle of a historical battle scene. Although our parents knew better, for us kids the war happened long ago and far away. In the hayloft in the barn (which has now been converted into the studio!) we found a large, very heavy coat. The sleeve bore the orange coat of arms of the Netherlands: the roaring lion that warns you: Je Maintiendrai! “I say," our mum said, “that coat must have been lying there for almost forty years, and it hasn't even lost a button. They don’t make quality like that nowadays….” She scrubbed the coat for us and we played tough little soldiers with it for years, until it came to rest in a private collection. It makes you wonder who left his coat there, and why? Under the roof over the studio we found an old passport and some travel documents that belonged to an eighteen year-old boy from Renkum. “I know that boy!”, grandma G.  from next door said, “that's “Red” Gerrit!” Gerrit preferred to take the chance of hiding his papers and himself than go to Germany to work for the enemy. He survived, and was very amused to see his old passport again after forty years… Grandma G. remembers lots of wartime stories: ”At the end of the war we were evacuated, most of us to relatives in the north. You really couldn’t take much with you, just as many clothes as you could wear on your person and all the bags you could carry. And the mess when we returned after the war! The farmhouses here where badly damaged by the shooting and the Germans, who dug themselves in behind the farm, took all the